NoMeansNo

The official message board & forum - helping people make friends since 2002
Home | News | Tour Dates | Photos | Press Releases | Merch | Links | Contact
Support Nomeanswhatever.com when you shop on Amazon
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tom Holliston Tour Diaries!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:33 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

Tom decided on this tour to write up daily journals and send them to me to post on the forum. So check this thread for his submissions about the Wrongnam style tour!

MAY 6 & 7 - Pre - Amsterdam
I landed at Schipol monday, May 6th. I like to give myself a couple days to get over jet lag before the tour starts. Results are always middling. I flew direct from Vancouver. The flight time was under nine hours and it was a smooth ride. Though not without incident.
A man asked me if I had dropped some money, pointing at a $100.00 bill under my shoes. I said no but thought it was the property of a guy nearby who was asleep. This guy had displayed a great fondness for 'joking' with the crew earlier but now he lay quietly. A few hours previously I had noted him counting a handsome stack of bills of a large denomination. We roused him and asked him if the $100.00 bill was his. He grunted, took the money and pushed it half into the front left pocket of his fashionable trousers and returned to his slumber.

Will Schatz, our front of house and bottle opener technician arrived in Amsterdam a few hours after I did. He took a slightly different route from mine, driving from snowy Cornerbrook Newfoundland to Deer Lake where he caught a Halifax bound flight. He transferred there to a plane headed for Montreal where, after landing and waiting patiently several hours in a comfortable lounge, he proceeded to wend his way across the vast atlantic ocean to fabled Paris, France. Once there, Will made his way to Gare De Nord station and leapt aboard a train which brought him to Amsterdam Schipol airport.
After disembarking at this airport Will clambered aboard another train and, after switching coaches in modern day Leiden, he continued on his journey to mysterious Alphen A/D Rijn; AKA Alfen on the Rine.
The entire trip took about 36 hours.

Will and I stayed a few nights at a hotel called the AviFauna, in Alphen. There was a very, very loud elevator adjacent to our room. Children tumbled out of it, yelling and screaming at the rate of three every two minutes continously for twenty four hours. Nobody seemed to use the stairs except us! Happily,we were able to be relocated after a thunderous night. Our new room was sleek and moody.
The hotel is connected to a theme park which is said to host the wings of many exotic birds. I personally can vouch that it is a fine place to visit for those who wish to revel in birdsong. At one point I swore I heard a Bittern.

Will left me to my Avian reflections and trained it back to Amsterdam where he met up with his old Lethbridge chum, the artist and maniac Brian McKenna. The two fast friends soon repaired to a brewery and spent several hours there in deep conversation, losing track of the time. Will managed to catch a late train back to Alphen but, after being up for more than 270 hours staight he quickly dropped off into a deep sleep and was awakened by surprised cleaners in Rotterdam at 4:00 a.m. Will waited for several hours, huddled in a shadowy corner of the impressively dirty station, and then caught the 0600 special back to Alphen.

Rob and John and Donald Keith Rose, our crafty road manager and merch man came in on the seventh. We met up for dinner and then I walked back to my hotel. Will, John and D.K. retired to a public house and got plastered on La Chouffe, against their better judgement.

Post subject: Re: Tom Holliston Tour Diaries!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

May 8 - Amsterdam

Our first show at a place called the Sugar Factory which stands across the street from the fine Melkweg club.
The house crew here are uniformly helpful and competent. The light guy was good! He left the strobes alone! No blackouts or other parlour tricks! It was a pleasure to play here and it was a pretty good first show. Rob's bass was still a little water logged from an incredibly humid gig in Portland, Oregon which took place ten days or so previously, so it shut down a little bit as the set progressed but we got through pretty well.
First shows can often be tricky in that one is getting used to new, unfamiliar, rented amps and speaker cabinets. I keep my Gibson SG and my Gordon Smith guitars stored in Holland as flying them back and forth is getting quite expensive so it took a little while to get the sound I wanted. At home I play a Les Paul standard as a main guitar and it has far less in the way of harmonics to it compared to the SG. This, too takes a show or two to get used to.
The stage sound at the club was incredibly dead which is not my cup of tea at all as I like to be in the thick of things, muddied as it were by swirling sound. There was very little sustain to be had so my dollops of smarty pants feedback simply wafted into the ether never to be heard.
This event took place on the eve of Ascension day so the streets of the nearby Liedseplein, excuse my spelling, were thick with the persons of ale quaffing, celebratory christians.

A woman we know came to the show and gifted us with a bottle of cognac. 30 years old! Her name is Cill, or sill, again, pardon my spelling. The cognac brought to mind thirsty and unshaven German generals sprawling in their tall leather riding boots upon chaise lounges, in a purloined chateaux belonging to the countess as played by Deborah Kerr.
It's really good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

May 9 - Oberhausen

I really like this room! The stage sound is fantastic. One of those places one would strap on to ones back and carry to the next town. This venue's easily reached, too. The train station is close by. Plenty of time to get the late train home without missing part of the show.
There was to be an opening band but they cancelled as the singer was taken ill so we started about 10:00. Our pals Koert and Alex came from Berlin with thier son, Paul who is three years old. He and his Dad, who measures about six foot eight, wore matching green track suits and both wore sleek, tailored Yankee Sandwich t-shirts. As a quick aside I am really not interested in so called 'boy bands ' but I must say that Yankee Sandwich are certainly the best of the lot; far better than much of this pallid genre.

There was a vegan restaurant abutting our arena. Donald Keith asked for a small salad which took over 40 minutes to arrive. Minus cutlery. As a side dish it was in no way anomolous and I saw with my own eyes our usually reserved road manager scratch his head in consternation as he wondered at it's E.T.A.
In this case I would qualify 'E.T.A' as an un-apt anagram of eat.

Rob, Will and I, who had declined any dubious nourishment, retired to a nearby hotel for several hours. I sat in the hotel's cafe and read some pages of Erik Larson's fine book 'Isaac's Storm' while lingering over a small dish of cheese, arugula and diced tomato.

The show went off very well! No equipment tantrums, a good crowd. We played quite well,too. I gave my pick to a youngster attendee. There with his mom 'n dad. Apparently he is a novice drummer. He was on my side of the stage rather than John's. After the show a man came up to me and said, in a thick Ruhr accent, " I could not help but zee you gayf zat young boy your plectrum! Zat was very good of you".
I swelled with pride. We returned to our hotel about 1:00 and I enjoyed a google hangout with my wife, Carrie Jo. I had more than one, but less than three, sips of Talisker, and felt woozy. Still a bit jet lagged.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:58 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

May 10 - Bielefeld

It is always a treat to come play the Forum. We all look forward to seeing Martina, Ralf and the gang. The room and stage sound is fantastic and Donald Keith's face shined like a little boy's on christmas morning when he found a sort of small faux fur muff near the merch stand. Donald Keith has been sporting it as a type of ersatz mohawk 'neath his valued hat much of today.

We had a longish soundcheck because that old Boss echo/delay box of mine really acted up. Perhaps there is a loose connection on the input or some grumpy solder somewhere. During the set, which went quite well, strange Robot Monster...
( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046248/?ref_=sr_1 )
special effects spewed out periodically and I had several volume surges from my amps. Who knows why?

Also on the bill was one of my favourite bands, Slim Cessna's Auto Club! Despite a few strange front of house problems with the sound the boys were in spectacular form. But this sextet are always consummate professionals; game for anything and boy they sure delivered in Bielefeld !

I know they have got some bad press lately about that hazing incident in Cannon Falls, Minnesota but take it from me: no one from this band was involved in any way! At the time of the explosion they were quite literally 1500 miles away in Greeley, Co., entertaining a happy crowd of imbeciles at the 5th annual Foola -Palooza. How sad it is that some people seem to have nothing better to do than make up lurid stories about successful entertainers. To the rumour mongers responsible I can only say, " Shame On You!".

The Auto Club, may I add, had risen at 0500 in order to drive all the way from Warsaw to play for the appreciative citizens of this ancient German industrial city.
They even left Will Schatz's drugs alone. If that's not respect then I have not seen it.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:32 pm 
Bad Person. Good Host.

May 11 - Lubeck

I was going to write something about the weather but it seems self evident to suggest that winter can be a cool season. I like this city but it is at it's best in warm weather; most places are.

We last played Triebsand in 2001 as NoMeansNo. Show Business Giants came here in February, 2000, playing with the storied British power trio, Wat Tyler.
The venue has changed and much for the better. The stage is bigger, the dresSing room is warm - there is a wood burning stove- and the sound system, especially the monitors, is much improved. Happily, the promoter is the same fellow, Christoph. It was good to see him again.

We played with a band from Kiel. I can not recall the name even though I have three of their discs! I plead unfamiliarity with German in jokes here. They have a very long name and it is a common expression here, or at Kiel, I guess, meaning that a man is not too old to dance although life is short. I could be wrong but that is close enough. What matters here is that they are a good band and fine fellows. One of them reminds me of Jens R. who has done our shows in Hamburg for many, many years. Jens now spends a lot of time in Zurich. This iota of info does not pertain to the show at all but I like Jens and I like talking with and about him.

We played pretty well. No train wrecks and Donald Keith managed to go an entire evening without offending any of his merch customers in a major way. He left his book, his vital data tome, at the club when he was doing the biz at shows end but he woke up early this morning and strolled back there and, with the help of Christoph he was able to retrieve his book.

I opted to sleep in as I want to put my jet lag behind me so I did not try the breakfast at our small hotel; I do not think I missed much as Donald told me the fare was meager though not bad: Bread And Cheese, and those inevitable three slices of tomato and three slices of cucumber which go largely unscrutinized.

Will and I were rooms and he fell asleep, he said, listening to an old radio show on one of his sound devices. I just fell asleep. The hotel is operated by two woman who are retired circus performers but there was no evidence of their former career in our chambers. Unless the chairs were once used to keep the big cats at bay. If so, I am sure they would have long since been re-upholstered as I saw no claw marks.

I inspected this property carefully, getting to know every inch of the place but failed to turn up any of those tiny cars that emit a dozen clowns. Perhaps our hosts tended to the administrative side of things comptrollers or advance agents... The one woman I met did not comport herself as a carney. But who knows? Show people can be cunning.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:24 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

May - 12 & 13 FLENSBURG

Last time we played here was September 2007. John Chedsey was with us then and we still managed to have a good time. I recall walking across the street from the venue to the waters edge and looking off to the other side of the harbour, seeing a B.C. Ferries vessel under construction. So this is where they are made now, I wondered aloud. Then I thought of then B.C. premier Gordon Campbell and despoiled the oily patina of the seawater with an impudent dollop of straw hued expectoration.

Just looked at the election results and see that Christy Clark was re elected! Despite the queasiness roiling my innards right now I can not say I am surprised. Shocked, yes. Stupidity and sloth always have that effect on me... "Wow! People really do read the Vancouver Province!"... But surprised, no.

Obviously, further cuts to already badly eroded health and education systems take a backseat in the minds, and I use that word carelessly, of those who would opine that life is all about parking that second Lexus right out front of the heavily mortgaged dream investment and being told what to do and how to live by corporate pond scum. And going along with it. There you go. Always call an election when the stanley cup playoffs are on folks; that way you know that 50% of the population are pre occupied and too busy to get out and vote.

As for Ms. Clark's opponent, Adrian Dix....Mr. Dix ! Never assume, never, the majority of the electorate in B.C. are willing to look at and examine, logically and reasonably, the issues of the day. What were you thinking man! You need fireworks, vacuous invective and CANDY RIGHT NOW! to successfully woo the plebes.

But our show in Flensburg was a good one. And we stayed upstairs in a band flat that was our home the next day, which we had off. After the show I went to bed and I slept a long time and then did little. Went out for dinner and had a good meal and came home and sequestered myself in a little front parlour and talked with my sweetie.

There is a wonky connection in my Boss Chorus / Echo gadget. Need to find an electrician to give it the once over. Oh, Phil Flaen, where are you when I need you?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:07 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

May 14 - Copenhagen

We played at a club called the Loppen, in Christiana, which is a sort of gated/squatted city. It is famous for its hash market. I understand the market is now a big business for gangs and not really there as an independent rallying cry against the state any more. There is a neon sign, green lights with sweet leaf. Kind of banal in its way.

Rumours are always rife the area is going to be shut down by the Police. Or the city. Perhaps having gang controlled smokables is a good thing in a way, if the 'man' is getting his cut. The roads are paved now. They used to be full of pot holes, pardon the pun, which greatly impeded the passage of a Black Maria fecund with nervous truncheons.

I was told that, recently, someone inside Christiana had actually telephoned Copenhagen's finest to come down at once as hooligans were throwing rocks. The law obliged and were at once pelted with stones! The officers departed with alacrity; squatters can't win 'em all.

The mixing desk at the Loppen is really good and so is the sound both in the room and on stage. The air used to be thick with hash smoke which, for a non smoker like me could be distracting. There used to be a tech there named Mike. Good guy. He was really into Tesla. The Serb, not that band. Once he played me a mix of a recent Fall gig ( post Hanley, S. ) in which M.E. had been given a large amount of 'shrooms an hour before the set and, as we listened, Mike said..." O.K. the mushrooms are gonna kick in...now!" And they did. And the band got a little loose, too.

This time around the place had been spruced up. Someone painted the dressing room walls! First time in god knows how long. I have been going to this place since 1996. So it was a little more comfortable to be there, downstairs, in the room with the star on the door. And dinner, prepared in the venue's kitchen was lovely. Plenty of pot roast for Will, John and Donald Keith and scads of piping hot vegetables with a perky spinach sauce for Rob and this reporter.

Anders Nielson did the show. We have known him for a very long time. He has a band called President Fetch and owns a bike. Which he rides, daily. He has also been to Neptune.

We stayed at the hotel Absalon. It was packed with people in town for the euro-vision song contest which is held in Sweden this year.
You heard me right. maybe it was across the reach, in Malmo. Malmo is less colourful than Copenhagen.

More to come about other places!
xo,
tom h.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

May 15 - Halden

In the fortress overlooking the harbour, facing towards Sweden reposes the skull of a king no one liked. So our man Trond told me. In fact, this information was vouchsafed. Honest. Trond, who is tall and well fed, leaned towards me and lowered his voice as he imparted. He appended his revelation with a throaty chuckle. The skull is somewhere up there on the hill. The fort is haunted also: there are signs warning of the presence of ghosts.

Halden is just north of the Swedish border and is a pretty town with it's fair share of characters. There is no pretense made towards sobriety in this place when the locals have had a few. This being Norway where the cost of a drink can run high, attendees are liable to come to the shows well fortified with a shot or three of potent local moonshine. Our gig took place at a venue called Dr. Feelgood which has it's own brand of shine. Will had two glasses and told me he was plastered. This was not vouchsafed. No, it was stated in a clear impartial tone with no forward movement of the upper torso. No dying chuckle heralding oral decease.

The streets were full of youngsters busied in a dry run for the annual children's parade. What a lot of little cuties! I want one of my own. I took a few snaps and then remembered that I am a lone, middle aged guy taking pictures of children. This can be creepy. I made do with two photos.

This was our third visit to Halden and our second to Dr. Feelgood; last time we played there was 2001, on the No One tour, which still does not hold any box office records. That last show! A guy came up to me. He looked exactly like V.I. Lenin. He was stroking his beard above which lolled a lazy smile. " I am in a heavy metal band", he began, " I am playing keyboards in it. When my bandmates are playing in the key of F sharp sometimes I will be playing a C."

Later on this same evening another guy came up to me. " I play in a heavy metal band. We are trying a keyboard out which is unusual for metal. The man we have keeps playing in C when we play in F sharp. We are going to fire him very soon".

I am not making this up. For the rest of the night every time I turned around I was making eye contact with this pianist who would stroke his beard, nodding sagaciously at me. One of those types who was born to be illuminated by flickering candles.

But this show went off well. A good crowd and little in the way of drunken, inexplicable Norwegian activities. No tete e tetes with plants or slow sliding off bar stools. Before the show Trond plied us with the best pizza in town. It may well be the best pizza in town. I like coming here and am glad to be back in Norway. It is a beautiful country. There used to be a MacDonalds franchise in Halden. It went bankrupt. Halden is the only Norwegian town cited in the lyric of the national anthem.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:36 pm 
Sex Mad

Tom Holliston + Slim Cessna's = un putain de fantasme de concert du feu de dieu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:57 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

May 16 - Lillehammer

Oh, Dear....

Attachment:
008 small.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 am 
Everything Became Nothing

John C wrote:
May 16 - Lillehammer

Oh, Dear....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I want to see the files:) and the photos, too!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Bad Person. Good Host.

Homik wrote:
John C wrote:
May 16 - Lillehammer

Oh, Dear....

What the heck!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:25 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

May 17 - Trondheim

National holiday in Norway. Many people out and about in traditional garb which I enjoy seeing. Last time we drove to Trondheim the weather was not in our favour: torrential downpour made for many motorway closures and Norge highways can be slow at the best of times, so we got to the venue way late. This time we were, almost, spot on time.

The venue, Blaest, is located alongside a canal very close to the center of town. Lots of bars and cafes full to the brim with holiday revelers. Not far from here is a Nazi U - Boat installation and it's there to stay. It is grey and it looms. Despite this being the land of Alfred Nobel, no Norwegian has yet figured a way, short of employing a nuclear device, of razing the thing. I do not know what it is used for today.

A great show! What a good in house crew. Anders, the house tech had a go at my Boss Echo/Chorus box but came up empty handed. I need to bring the thing into a proper shop. As I do my Gordon Smith guitar - the bridge pick up has gone west.

It is no easy task finding a shop tech on a holiday weekend! Oh, if only those damn Swedes had not expanded westward! Then there would be no cause for celebrating their expulsion on the May 17th weekend. I am told that Denmark is enjoying holiday time too so repairs may well have to wait for the United Kingdom.

Despite the ebbing of alcoholic waters there was a surprisingly small amount of public drunkenness on to display. Other than a couple of vacillating would be coxcombs pissing in the pool just outside the venue doors this reporter espied little of addled performance.

I can tell you that one in three males under the age of 30 summers apparently buys the exact same suit, cut and colourtone. No lie, free pie: everyone scrap of this rainment looked like it had been priced to sell. A sort of desert rose, jacket unbuttoned. It was a warm day. George Zimmer must be spitting on his hands at the Men's Warehouse and hollering, " Next!". Three piece suits are not the current fashion or perhaps everyone left his vest at home.

I like Trondheim.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:03 pm 
Mr. Manic Pogo

What about May 16th?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:54 am 
Free Speech Crusader w/ Special Cape

Homik wrote:
John C wrote:
May 16 - Lillehammer

Oh, Dear....

same here