NoMeansNo

The official message board & forum - helping people make friends since 2002
Home | News | Tour Dates | Photos | Press Releases | Merch | Links | Contact
Support Nomeanswhatever.com when you shop on Amazon
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tom Holliston Tour Diaries!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:30 pm 
Bad Person. Good Host.

June 5 - Nurmberg

We played with Trigger Effect. The first of three gigs with these young men from Montreal. Good pals/drinking buddies of Will Schatz. Very amiable gentlemen.
It was a special treat to see our longtime chum Martin Muhlig at the show. He used to promote gigs at this venue, the K4, some of the really big acts like Sinderella, Lothar & Matthew and even more, but Martin has since wisely stepped aside from such pursuits and therefore retained some semblance of his sanity.

A good sized crowd came out and they were dancers. This kept me in the ring most of the night as my monitors were fucked up and I had to push them away from me... Weird things coming out of them. Don't know why but there has got to be someone out there who can take the blame!
Let's say it was a ghost monkey and be done with it.

It probably was a ghost monkey. Trigger Effect had a few misgivings about the sound. We wondered aloud at one point if the house tech didn't have perhaps too eccentric an idea about how a kick drum should sound. Lots of 800 in there and I do not mean that malt liqour stuff. But! there were dancers.

John Wright managed to get some stretching in before the show. Rob has nearly finished 'Red Harvest' and I did finish 'Seconds'. I like that one; would like to find more books by David Ely.

I can not think of anything else to say now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 pm 
Bad Person. Good Host.

June 6 - Prague

A young girl asked me to sign her breasts after the show and I told her I have a hyphenated name so that did not go far.
Signed many, many autographs tonight. No one asked for my John Doe on his or her tentacles.
It was a good crowd and Marek - you know who you are! - got his longed for yellow shirt.

We were very tardy owing to a late night bull session Donald and John had with Martin Muhlig at his Nurmberg palace. When we arrived in Prague Donald confided to R. Vlacic, promoter of note, " Sorry, we are late."

We? I thought. What do you mean by we - do you have a rat in your pocket?, but opted to keep my own counsel.
Until now, that is....Late breaking news!

Trigger Effect were in fine form this evening, sporting recently purchased white slacks and painful tattoos. It has been good to meet these six young men. They are a fine, hard working band. We are playing with them tomorrow, too, and I hope our paths cross again. Mike, the drummer, bears a startling resemblance to both Richard And Willie...

There was a good crowd out for the show tonight. One of the best of the tour. People still smoke at clubs here but that has been toned down. I like the venue, the Lacarna, a lot. There are good sight lines and the sound is good, as is the house crew. The lone downer of the evening was the tool at the lighting console but, really, almost all of the lighting at the shows has been very good so one or two bad 'uns is a good percentage for a tour.

I define very good as unobtrusive. Destroying smoke machines is a perfect example of an unobtrusive deed. Most bands I know do not care for smoke machines. The most smoke I ever saw on stage was Slayer at the Hultsford festival in Sweden some time ago. Billowing, fake smoke. I'll say no more about this.

After the show we watched a man in quite wretched condition attempt to break into a building by trying to part iron bars protecting a duct of some sort. No success at all. John gave him some oranges.

Will hastened off into the night with Trigger Effect and their hosts for this evening.
I am sure they will succeed in getting plastered.

There was another band on the bill. I didn't catch the name but they were pretty good. And I saw an old friend, Peter Simek whom I met years ago in 1997 when SBG played here and someone, trying to steal or break into our van was thwarted by Ford Pier and his muscles. Peter is a good photographer. You can check out his stuff at:

Good night, all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:36 am 
Bad Person. Good Host.

June 7 - Leipzig

This is a re write. I sent something to John C but asked him not to post it. At the time I wrote I had just heard of the recent shootings in California and went off on a tangent. This did not help things.

I don't think Obama will do anything to curb the NRA. I do not think much of the man as a statesman and, for the record, I do not own a gun, rifle, howitzer or AK -47 and I do not see the point of owning anything of these things, for things they are, as I do not hunt or go to the skeet or rifle range. I have no problem with people who do.

But I am morally certain that most arguments proffered by this relatively small, yet curiously powerful special interest group, the NRA, are utterly and completely subjective and ill reasoned and in essence condone and ultimately support violent acts.
As Harry Truman said, "the buck stops here".

Those who support current gun legislation in the USA are, ultimately, at least partly responsible for the terrible acts committed by those wielding weaponry in much the same way that those who support less taxation by government can justifiably be called to the carpet for having citizens constantly being put on hold by answering machines which have taken the place of capable, middle income social advisors. Thus fostering an ever larger welfare state.

The show was pretty good. The sound was cavernous despite Will's best effort. T-Head snuck into the show with a bottle of 21 year old Tomintoul.

I would say that if Martin Luther could defy the church of Rome and live to preach another day than surely responsible gun owners in the USA, for this issue does not exist, as such, anywhere else on the globe, than surely gun aficionados in the USA could at least consider a schism with and from such a malevolent and unempathetic, venal institution as the NRA.

I am sure some would disagree with me on this and that's fine by me. But I do not feel up to writing about a show just now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:43 pm 
Bad Person. Good Host.

That's all folks!

No more shows. I look forward to getting back to Alphen tomorrow night and going for some Italian food with Gijs, Keith and Rob.

John is catching a train to Fulda, Germany tomorrow, from here, where he would spend five days at a brewery, working and having fun. Will is catching a train from Frankfurt to Paris where he will spend the night near Orly airport before continuing on to Newfoundland and, with exception of Ashley's call to the bar, (congratulations! Ashley, that was a lot of hard work and it didn't just fall into your lap) Will will have less fun than John.

Tonight was a good show. About 2500 people there for the outdoor fest. Some drinkers! Many people with cameras capturing those fleeting moments of joy and comradery where everyone is grinning and happy to see each other. I feel sometimes that elation is a part of a fur ball coughed up by hysteria. But that is just me.

I need to be up all too soon. I set my alarm for 10:30, breakfast here is on until 11:00 and then we get the ejector seat. We'll drop John and Will off at the train station, the central station, and head for Koln, maybe, to drop off some merch at Lo Fi. Then it is off to very dull Ter Aar, Holland, to warehouse cymbals and strings and 75 watt celestion speakers. Ter Aar is the home of the unpardonably bad Cafe Prick. There really is such a place.

A platitude can not breath without a throng. What does it matter, though, when one can be well away from it? The encroachment of the spurious never ebbs!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:23 pm 
Perambulating

Loved it all. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:19 pm 
0+2= high ranking

Indeed, thank you Tom for these - fascinating reading.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:36 am 
Wrong

it was a fascinating read, indeed!
thanks Tom (and John!)
it was like watching the whole tour live

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:35 am 
Free Speech Crusader w/ Special Cape

yeah, that was a good one
thanks for the reading, tom!
save trips everyone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 pm 
Mama

Quote:
Nick spent a good deal of time backstage where, unhappily, he was invested by terrible wind. For more personal information ask Nick and Robbie personally.

Yes, I blame the brussell sprouts that NMN have on the rider. By the time Tom had packed his gear and come backstage to take off his wooden leg, the catalyst was at work.

Quite apt then that you were discussing promotional sounds en route to the venue! To this end I volunteer my services. I believe I have a range of about two octaves. I could rustle up a jingle?

Had a great show. I was down in the sweaty pit. Not feeling northern boob.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:04 am 
Cuddly

jeah thanks tom it was joyfull to read your little notes !

when is your first book coming out?????

(about cats lol)

siL*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:11 am 
Perambulating

Yep, thanks for the Tour Diaries - most entertaining!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:47 pm 
0+2= high ranking

loved the diary

and glad to know that dancers are appreciated... no matter how bad i may be, i tend to not be able to help myself!

looking forward to seeing Tom's solo gig this fall!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 am 
A Headless Bourgeoisie

Thanks you indeed for writing and uploading, Tom and John C!

I made my computer read it aloud to me, as I do with books sometimes :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:20 am 
Perambulating

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute reading these pages. Thanks Tom H.